Your cosmetic dentist can use porcelain veneers to correct any number of aesthetic flaws in your smile. The treatment is fairly simple, straightforward and quick, and it is associated with numerous benefits.
Porcelain Veneer Treatment
Porcelain veneers are tooth-shaped shells that are bonded atop the biological teeth using a strong dental cement. The treatment process begins with an evaluation by a cosmetic dentist, who will inspect your teeth, take photos and x-rays and discuss your treatment goals with you.
Depending on the thickness of the veneer, the dentist may also prep your teeth for veneer placement by removing a thin layer of enamel to make room for the veneer. All of the data used in the design of your veneers is forwarded to the dental lab, where they will be created. When they are ready, which generally takes just a couple of weeks, you’ll return to the office to have them placed.
Benefits Of Porcelain Veneers
Here are some of the primary benefits of porcelain veneers.
- They’re versatile. Whether you visit a cosmetic dentist to address teeth that are chipped, stained or cracked, or those that are undersized or slightly crooked, porcelain veneers can help you to achieve your smile goals.
- They’re durable. People may think that porcelain is a fragile material, but after it is bonded to the teeth, it becomes quite strong. If you take good care of your veneers, they can last for up to a decade.
- They have a lifelike appearance. Porcelain is a particularly suitable material for veneers because it mimics many of the optical qualities of biological tooth enamel. It’s nearly impossible to tell a veneer from the natural tooth next to it.
- They’re customized to match your smile. Veneers are designed to match your unique smile. The shape and the shade of the veneers can be tailored to blend in with your biological teeth.
- Treatment is completed in a matter of weeks. This is particularly valuable in the case of “straightening” teeth. Veneers can create the appearance of proper alignment in a matter of weeks, rather than the months that orthodontic treatment would take.
To learn more about the many benefits of porcelain veneers, call our office to schedule a consultation at your earliest convenience.